Mr. Downey has practiced law in Bucks County for over 40 years. He is widely respected as one of the leading litigators in Bucks County. Throughout his career he has tried, settled and resolved hundreds of cases involving commercial disputes, personal injury, civil rights and criminal law at the state and federal level. A significant part of his practice is devoted to sitting as an arbitrator and mediator for alternate dispute resolution of complicated civil cases.
He has also represented municipalities for many years and currently serves as Solicitor for the Lower Bucks County Joint Municipal Authority, the Municipal Authority of the Borough of Morrisville, and Tullytown Borough Civil Service Commission.
Mr. Downey began his career as a public defender, and represented clients of that office in all types of criminal matters from homicide charges to minor offenses.
An active contributor to his professional and local communities, Mr. Downey is a member of the Pennsylvania and Bucks County Bar Associations, Brehon Law Society, Marine Corps League and the Newtown Crossing Community Association, for which he serves as President of the Board of Directors. A graduate of St. Joseph’s University, he received his law degree from Temple University.
He has received Certificates of Appreciation from Bucks County Community College, The Croydon Fire Company and the Veterans of Foreign Wars for service to these organizations. In 2006, he was selected as a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer in the area of general practice. Super Lawyers, a Thompson Reuters business, selects attorneys using a rigorous, multiphase process that combines peer nominations and evaluations with third-party research. The final list includes no more than 5 percent of the state’s attorneys.
- Fogerty v Boles, 121 F 3d 886 (3d Cir. 1997)(Successful defense of a high school principal accused of violating a teacher’s First Amendment Rights)
- Reitz v. County of Bucks, et. al., 125 F.3d. 139 (3d. Cir. 1997) (Successful defense of a civil rights claim against the Bucks County District Attorney)
- Bristol Borough v. Bristol Borough Police Benevolent Association, 815 A2d 662 ( 2003) Allocutor DENIED 832 A2d 437 (2003)(Successful defense of a Borough in an attempt to change the municipality’s pension payment obligations)
- Duffy v. County of Bucks, 7 F.Supp.2d 569 (E.D. Pa. 1998)
- Garcia v. County of Bucks, 155 F.Supp.2d 259 (E.D. Pa. 2001) (Successful defense of a civil rights claim against the Bucks County Sherriff’s Department)
- Haberstick v. Nesbitt, 1998WL472447(E.D. Pa. July 29, 1998) (Successful defense of an ADA claim against the Bucks County Department of Corrections)
- Lower Bucks County Joint Municipal Authority
- Morrisville Municipal Authority
- Tullytown Borough Civil Service Commission
Honors and Awards
- Recognized as 2013 Top Rated Lawyer in Pennsylvania by LexisNexis® Martindale-Hubbell®
- AV Rated Martindale Hubbell
- Selected as a Pennsylvania SuperLawyer 2006
- Honorable Discharge – U.S. Marine Corps
Past Employment Positions
- Bucks County, Assistant Public Defender
- Bucks County Community College, Lecturer, Business Department, 1982-1986
- Honorable Discharge – United States Marine Corps
Mr. Downey was born and raised in Baltimore, Maryland, and remains an unwavering fan of the Orioles. He and his wife Karen reside in Newtown and are the proud parents of one son James, a recent graduate of Loyola College, Maryland. James, their son, takes joy in his golf game, a sport in which he excels. Karen is active in the St. Andrew’s parish in Newtown, Pennsylvania and Special Equestrians in Warrington, Pennsylvania, an organization devoted to horseback riding for the handicapped.